Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, June 25, 2012

Allergies

We have been feeding P jarred baby food lately (all organic fruit/veggie mixtures).  Sometimes they put cinnamon in some of the flavors (our only thought on the reasoning is that it is a healthy spice that can be used for babies to add natural flavors??).  We had fed her 2 different things with cinnamon a couple of weeks ago and it seemed like she got a minor diaper rash...we speculated it was the cinnamon as nothing else in her diet was different.  We held off on anything that contained cinnamon for a few weeks and then on Thursday morning I fed her breakfast that contained cinnamon.  Throughout the day as I was changing her diapers I noticed a worsening diaper rash.  By the afternoon she was screaming when I had to change her diaper and was VERY red and even welpy.  OMG!  I felt horrible!! I had to clean her, but I knew how much it was hurting her!  Even to hold her she would not wrap her legs around me, she just held them curled up under her.  When it was bath-time, I thought it would clean her and make it feel better but she screamed instantly when I placed her in the water and refused to completely sit down.  It broke my heart and you better believe we broke the world record for fastest baby bath ever! I could not get her washed and out of there faster!  We again chalked it up to the cinnamon.  I found it weird though that it didn't affect her any other way, only when it passed through her system.  Oh well, we asked the doctor about it and she said yes it sounds like she is having an allergy to the cinnamon so we are going to avoid cinnamon from now on.

Onto our next food fiasco...:(

I had read that babies under 1 year should not have eggs.  Soooo many people with babies tell me they feed their babies scrambled eggs (it makes sense it is an easy meal that would be easy for a baby to eat).  So, I did a little more reading and found out they just should not have egg whites.  A couple of weeks ago I made P a scrambled egg yolk (gag me! It looked nasty!) with a little cheese added to it for flavor. Well, that was when she was going through her "food refusal" stage and she would not eat them.  Now that we are having a little more luck with solid foods (and the go ahead from the Dr. on Friday that she can eat whatever we eat except for foods that are choking hazards-grapes, hot dogs, nuts, raisins, etc) I told N I wanted to try giving her scrambled eggs again on Saturday morning for breakfast. 

Well, N let me sleep in and he got up with P and even made all of us breakfast! Score!  Well he made her scrambled eggs and I was a little paranoid because he scrambled the whole egg (he forgot that I said the white had to be taken out).  He said she would be fine and we went ahead and fed them to her.  I was sitting by her eating my food while feeding her and after about 5 bites I kinda freaked and told N to look at her chin.  She had major red splotches all over her chin.  We kept looking and they were all over her neck and she was rubbing her left eye which was all red and puffy too.  OMG!  I panicked...N has a fear of her choking and I have had the food allergy fear since we had to ever start her on food. I was afraid her throat would start closing up and she would not be able to breathe.  More patches started popping out immediately on her face.  We called the Dr. and talked to the nurse to see what we should do to help her. I was ready to head to the ER-lol!  THey told us to give her some allergy medicine-children's benadryl (which they usually do not recommend for babies) but we had to do something to help her.  We gave her a much smaller dose than they said to and they told us to just watch her lips and tongue for swelling and to head to the ER if that happened.

We wiped her down to remove any egg residue from her skin, changed her clothes, and just watched her like a hawk the rest of the morning.  The bumps started going down and she played like normal.  When it was time for her nap I did not want her to go to sleep.  She did and I was in there checking her breathing like every 2 minutes.  When she woke up and we went to change her diaper she had welp like bumps right on the outside of her diaper edge and lots of tiny ant bite looking bumps in clusters all over her legs.  When we fed her lunch her face started breaking out again but it all eventually cleared up that afternoon.

We washed her high chair and everything that came in contact with the eggs.  Her Dr. called to check on her later that afternoon and said since it sounds like a food allergy to eggs, to not try eggs again until after she turns 1.

UGH!  This poor baby....first the cinnamon, now eggs.  Now I am even more of  a nervous wreck around food and scared for her to leave my sight when food and others are around.

No comments:

Post a Comment