Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 15, 2013

"Vacation" with 2 under 2

Vacation....HA!!  It was WAY more stressful than being at home and I am not sure I have even recovered yet!!

N had a week long class in San Antonio the last week in July and his company was putting him up in the Hyatt Regency on the Riverwalk.  That sounded pretty nice and he wasn't getting a week off without us so we packed up the ENTIRE house and headed down with him for a get-a-way!

OMG!!  It was crazy and almost put me over the edge!  We did survive though and made a few memories on the way.  I had grand plans of blogging each day while we were away to recap the vacay and so the girls and I could reminisce over these posts 20 years from now but I was so frazzled by the end of the day that I never followed through.  Oh well!  We had fun and I am glad (a little) that we went but it confirmed that we will not be vacationing with kids anytime soon!!!  We would not have went had this not been through N work, but the time away was nice!

Saturday morning we headed out.  He had to submit a "journey" plan for work and we needed to pretty much stick with it.  It had to include lunch breaks, gas/rest breaks, etc. and had exact times on it.  We stopped for lunch in Columbus (with our car loaded to the brim since we were going to be gone for an entire week with 2 babies!)  We finished eating and were changing diapers in the car and sweet B decided to pee while I was changing her which meant a wet seat and change of clothes needed...great start sweetheart! :)  We have always been against the DVD in the car thing but decided for such a long trip we might consider packing one just in case....we ended up needing it and it was a sanity saver for us (the last trip we made was on 4th of July and Miss P was whiny, wanted out of carseat, etc. so we were prepared for this long trip again!)

We finally made it and checked in our hotel...all 289 bags plus us. :)  We also realized that B lost an earring somewhere along the way which meant we needed to buy new ones soon since her ears have only been pierced for 3 months and I didn't want the holes to close up..

This was just the girls things for the week...WOW!!

Loaded down

Yes, we needed 2 carts to haul us in.


The view :)

They made themselves right at home....nasty hotel floors and all....remember B started crawling the day before we left for SA



Baby-wearing and headed to supper.


Their new "beds" for the next week


Sunday morning we woke up and headed to for lunch and then off to Morgan's Wonderland.  I am going to do a whole separate post on this since this place was absolutely wonderful and deserves it's own post!  After MW we headed to Target to get things we still needed and then met up with Tammy, Tony, & Taryn for supper & a walk through Bass Pro.

Bass Pro Shopping

Making memories dancing with Daddy (when she was supposed to be in bed already :) ) to Randy Rogers Pandora.


Sweet girls :)







Monday-Daddy headed off to work with the car (hence the reason we could not leave hotel) and the girls and I were ready for our first day alone in SA.  I was hopeful but hesitant...Saturday had been absolutely horrible and it if could have gone wrong, it did!  Sunday was much better so I was hoping things were going to look up.  We headed to the Riverwalk bright and early.  My double stroller is a side-by-side and it is massive so I didn't think I could take it on the RW.... I decided to carry B and make P walk and we were hoping to get out bright and early before it got too hot.  We got out but I was hesitant to get too far.  A woman by herself with 2 babies is an easy target, I had no idea how P was going to behave and didn't want to risk her running from me or throwing herself down too far away from the hotel in case I had to carry both back :) (YES, we have entered the throes of the terrible 2's).  We didn't last too long since I was just tired of carrying them and sweating so we headed back to the hotel and took in all the breath-taking views.  The hotel was beautiful and the water runs through it.  When daddy got back we took the girls for a quick dip in the pool....it was B's first time in a pool and then we went to eat supper.



This was this little princess first hotel stay!  She was in heaven in all these fluffy pillows. :)





Tuesday was okay. Since we couldn't stay out too long without the stroller on Monday, N brought it in for us on Tuesday.  He told me to take it and people will either move or just push them out of the way. :) LOL!  It was a lifesaver!!!  We got out and about a lot more and they were always contained!  We headed out bright and early before the others and enjoyed the views and Paislyn loved the "duckies" and all the water! :)  We walked around in the morning then went back to hotel to feed B, went to get lunch at the hotel bagel shop, back to room for naps, playing in afternoon then daddy joined us around 5.  Then we headed out for supper.







Nap time...:)

This little miss hoarded the bowl of salsa all for herself. :)


She's so funny!




Wednesday was another day.  I think the "newness" of vacation was over and we were ready to be back to normal.  We were tired of eating out, the laundry pile was ever-growing, and they were tired of staying quiet.  Being in a hotel meant we couldn't be too loud.  Trying to keep P quiet, yet entertained proved challenging.  There were times when both would be screaming during the day and I was trying and and everything to regain control amongst chaos in order to avoid us getting kicked out for being too loud. LOL!  Neither of them was sleeping through the night (again, our environment was changed and we were all out of whack!) and B would wake up crying multiple times and I would have to jump and get her to avoid disrupting all other sleeping guests. P would wake up and crawl in our bed and we usually ended up with all 4 of us sleeping together (which does not happen at home).  I was praying our normal home routines were not going to be messed up due to this vacation (which they were not, thank goodness) and I was just plain tired!  They also would not go to bed at night at a decent hour because they were not tired.  It is not their fault when you stop and think about it.  If we left the room they were always strapped in the stroller and if not in the stroller they were contained within the 4 walls of the hotel.  They really had no way to run about and get worn out.  

I decided to be super mom and make 1 little girl really happy! :)  My little social butterfly had been waving at all the boats passing by all week already and had been wanting to ride on the boat. I kept promising her we would.  I finally got brave enough to take both on a 35 minute boat ride (in which you are to stay seated the entire time) solo.  I got a few stares and don't think the other boat patrons were very excited to see me and my 2 littles board. :)  It was not too bad and they really enjoyed it. P did great until the last 10 or so minutes and then the ride could not end fast enough.

I even got really brave and got them dressed in bathing suits and everything packed that we would need and hauled both kids and 2 floaties out to the pool (the pool was on top of the hotel and the elevator did not access it....so once we got to the top floor we had MANY stairs to climb....).  I managed to get them both in their floaties and in the pool and we stayed there for about 15 minutes without drowning. :)  About that time P got brave enough to climb out the stairs and start walking around the pool.  At that point, I decided it was time to get B out and all of us back to the room.   :)

River ride






Thursday was not too bad.  We just followed our usual routine in the morning and N came and brought us lunch and spent a little time with us to help break up the day.  That afternoon I decided to take Paislyn (well, B had to tag along too :)) down to the little ice cream shop in the hotel.  Her and I each got an ice cream and sat down to eat it.  I decided to give B a little taste (basically my spoon touched her mouth) and she immediately started turning red.  Then she touched her mouth and rubbed her eye and her eyes became red and puffy.  I quietly started freaking out because great my baby has a food allergy too.  I hurried Paislyn to eat and (after she threw a very public fit about getting back in the stroller) we headed back to the room so I could really watch B. (after another visit to the allergist we now know why--more on that later)

That evening we were waiting in the lobby for N to get out of class.  We jumped in the car and headed out.  The first time the girls and I had been out in the world in a while. :)  We decided to do supper somewhere else and needed to go back to Target.  B had went through all of her pajamas with spit-up (I brought everything we had from home but I usually do laundry during the week and she sometimes uses 2 outifts a night) so she needed some pajamas and we had run out of wipes.  (Probably because a certain little someone was using them every time I turned around to clean the room and wash windows.  "I busy. I cleaning Momma," OH MY!)

We headed to CFA by the shopping center and had a nice evening.  

Trying to keep them entertained...blowing bubbles in the room.



Enjoying her ice cream

She did NOT enjoy hers-poor baby! Now we know why...

Look at how she swole up and broke out. :(


In order to try and tire P out we allowed her to play in the playground for the first time ever while at CFA.

This is how crazy the week was.  When we finally got both girls down around 10 that night I told N to go to the hotel bar and get me a drink.  I have not had a drop of alcohol since I got pregnant with B approx. 18 months ago....

Silly girls enjoying the evening view






Friday--the last day of class was finally here!  His schedule said the training would be all day but I was hoping and praying he could get out half day.  Our hotel reservations were through Saturday as we had originally planned to have another family fun day then.  We totally changed our mind after a few days and had cancelled Saturday and decided to check out on Friday after class.  The girls and I took our last morning stroll on the riverwalk and spent alot of time soaking up the sun, water, and duckies. :)  I packed us all up and we were ready to go once daddy arrived with the car and some lunch.  We ate, loaded up, then headed home to unpack a weeks worth of laundry, etc. Luckily the girls slept on the ride home and we headed straight to my mom and dads to drop off the girls.  I wanted 2 hours to unload, unpack, and start the laundry with a little mental break.  We got them back and straight to bed they went.  I was exhausted!! 









This was the first vacation for both girls.  It was great and memories were made, but it will be a long time before we venture too far from home for this length of time again. :)  While this post may sound whiny and complainy it is not meant to be taken that way. We are very fortunate that N works for such a great company and we were able to take this trip. I just want to get all of these memories down so in a few years when the girls read about their childhood they will be able to laugh.  I will also remember where a few more of my grey hairs came from. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment